The Correspondent Live - The student news site of John Hersey High School

Gingerbread competition flourishes with enthusiastic participants

A team made up of students on the poms team built a gingerbread house based off of the movie

A team made up of students on the poms team built a gingerbread house based off of the movie "Tangled." Many teams within the competition were made up of students from sports teams and clubs.

Danielle Eriksson

The third annual gingerbread house contest took place on Thursday Dec. 15. The event served as a way for students and the public to have a fun, festive night with friends and family while donating money; the $5 per teammate fee goes toward building Tony Chobanov a new home.

The whole field house was filled with participants; doubling the turnout from the gingerbread competitions that were held in the cafeteria in years past. There were two teams per table and five people on each team. The teams had a total of one hour to design their own unique gingerbread house.

“The healthy competition brings people together and creates a fun environment,” senior Gina Miklasz said.

Many students took full advantage of the competition, planning the design of their house beforehand in hopes to impress the judges and their student body. “Everyone on our team contributed supplies, and we bought multiple gingerbread houses so that we could make one huge house,” junior Kelly Miller said.

The competition was split into regions so that there could be many winners. One particular winning team created a house with the movie Tangled as their theme. “It was so fun! I loved that everyone came up and wanted to see our house when we were finished,” freshman Nicole Gerlach said.

Another winning team used the election as their theme, creating a gingerbread house in resemblance to the White House. “Last year we made the House of Representatives and this year we decided, with the election that just happened, to build the White House,” junior Jake McCormick said. His team won the whole competition, finishing with the highest scoring gingerbread house out of all regional winners.

Despite high competition, the atmosphere during the event was kept light and joyful as students kept in mind the cause of their works. “Though it was pretty competitive and somewhat hectic, the holiday music, raffles, and Mr. [Stephen] Kuehn’s funny announcing kept it fun,” senior Matt Abfall said.

All money made from the raffles goes towards making Tony’s new home as well.