The Correspondent Live - The student news site of John Hersey High School

SOS students find field trip gratifying

Almost everyone at Hersey contributed to the food drive somehow. Whether it was through donating cans/money, doing a bag and tag route, or even helping create a family food box with a second period class, the whole school was involved in some way or another.

After collecting all the cans in the cafeteria and loading the trucks, a group of seniors went to three local donation centers and helped fill up their pantries. “The most gratifying thing was just knowing how many families we were able to help and how many are going to have food on their tables come the holidays,” senior Eddie Mleko said. “I would definitely recommend the field trip. Although it might cause you to miss a day of school, your teachers are going to know it’s for a great cause and it’s not really an experience you can get every day,” Mleko said.

“The SOS class always helps out in different ways for a new cause but this field trip in particular was special. People in our school amd community don’t realize the trouble this class goes through to help out some of these families that we haven’t even meet. It may not seem like it, in our community especially, but there are in fact many families that need our help and it feels good by donating thousands of cans to help them out,” senior Kenny Hasley said. “Some people don’t even know what SOS is, basically the club is called Service Over Self and the goal of the club is to go around the community and help out as much as you can.” It means you’re more than just a student or a voulnteer. Being an SOS member is like being a caregiver,” Hasley said.

The Hersey SOS food drive is a school tradition and brings together the student body for a great cause. Every year the enthusiasm surges through the halls as the giving spirit radiates through the school. The food drive has helped countless families in unfortunate circumstances and will continue to do so for years to come.